Saturday, August 28, 2010

You're Interrupting My Fetishes

It's stunning the stuff that inspires you.

Or inspires me.

I'm sitting harmlessly, reading, with Namaste Yoga from Fit TV on with the sound down, paying half attention to the three young, attractive women with their sports bras, spandex shorts, bare legs and feet doing various stretches and the commercials pop up to instruct and enlighten; there's the one about the metal shed that would look perfect in your backyard; and Oprah rambling about what Oprah's gonna do once Oprah ends Oprah's show.

A note about Namaste Yoga, is there anyone actually doing the yoga poses? I can't imagine that there are people----men or women----sitting on the floors of their homes, yoga mat in hand, mimicking the movements. There are guys sitting around jacking off. (Not me. Not now. But you get my point.)

So there's the shed. Who has room for this thing? And why? Do you have so much crap and the room to build a giant metal shed and store all your junk in there and be so proud of the thing, in addition to the shiny car outside said shed and whatever other useless accumulated possessions you'll have for whatever reason.

Of course, Oprah is an even greater inspiration for rambling questions than the shed that I don't need nor intend to order. I look at Oprah and see this woman----wealthy to a degree that none of us can ever possibly contemplate; a personal life that can only be described as a disaster with weight problems; drug problems; self-loathing; and an ego the size of Jupiter----and wonder....WHO IS LISTENING TO THIS PERSON?!?

Who is so indoctrinated into doing what the television says that they wait for Oprah to instruct them on what books to read; what TV shows to watch; what politicians to support; what newest, latest self-help guru will the be final problem-solver who's going to fix everything. She has her magazine; she has her network; she has all this money. But she's a mess. Every month, on the cover of Oprah's magazine...is Oprah.

This is the person leading you out of the darkness.

It's not that I'm picking on Oprah just for the sake of it; I'm honestly curious. Are people so completely incapable of thinking for themselves? Do they need to be part of something----whatever it is----just to be part of something. There was the rally in Washington led by Glenn Beck. Glenn Beck, like Karl Rove, always looks like the guy who either just finished or is about to begin masturbating. And this is no partisan political attack because there are loads of democrats who are just as, if not more, sleazy than Beck and Rove.

So you have Beck and Sarah Palin running this rally about God knows what; you have the radical right wing taking their general potshots. If you're paying attention, you'll notice, like calling the Democratic party the "Democrat party, they intentionally refusing to refer to Barack Obama as "President" Obama. I've seen it in two different editorials by two different sources and it's not an accident. While I can't believe that people as intelligent as the likes of Karl Rove truly believe that the president is not a citizen of the United States, that isn't going to stop them from ratcheting up the rumor to suit their own ends. It's not about ideology; it's about the garnering of power.

When people enter into public life in any endeavor, they may have the best of inentions; or it might be a means to an end. Maybe they want money, power or simply want to get laid. Regardless, compromises have to be made; concessions to get the power and pragmatism not in the interests of getting things done, but in staying where they are. It's unavoidable. I have no intention of turning this blog into a second sports blog, but when you have warring factions advancing two diametrically opposed theories there are: A) going to be clashes; and B) going to a bastardization of the original intent, noble or not.

So I sit and I read and I try to evolve and hope that I can manage to stay the same independant thinker that I believe I am and dodge the subtle pull that comes with rising notoriety. Judging from the way I'm pretty much the same as I always was, it's unlikely to happen because I couldn't care less what people think about me to start with, but it happens without warning.

The endless advertisments----GEICO, Budweiser, vapid TV shows, reality shows, terrible movies----what's the point?

It's not as if they can be avoided. I'm sitting here watching a baseball game and I have to endure the "Could switching to GEICO really save you more than blah blah blah and blah blah blah? Is blah, blah blah blah blah," waiting for the game to resume. It's an interesting note that the guy in those commercials, actor Mike McGlone was a regular in the films of Edward Burns and it's an indictment of Burns more than a laudatory assessment of the GEICO ads that the writing in the commercials is a thousand times better than Burns's terrible movies.

So what to do? What's the purpose?

Why?

It's not some existential question of what we're doing on the earth; I truly want to know the point. Obsessions with possessions; with doing what's "right"; with their perception. In the time it takes to back up a phony persona, something might actually be accomplished.

Stop interrupting my psychosis. And I'm not turning off the TV, so think of something else.

No comments:

Post a Comment